Top 10 Things Not To Feed Your Dog

Top 10 things not to feed your dog
It’s always tempting to give in to those sad puppy dog eyes and feed our pups right off our plates. However, there are some foods that should never be given to dogs. Do you know which ones to avoid?


Most people have heard that chocolate is bad for dogs.  A chemical called theobromine is what poses the danger. It is a stimulant and a diuretic that can cause abnormal heart rate, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.  Theobromine is chemically related to caffeine, another substance in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.  Therefore anything caffeinated such as coffees and teas should also be kept away from pets.  It takes only a small amount to cause an effect and can take hours for symptoms to become apparent, so should your dog accidentally ingest chocolate, don’t hesitate to call your vet for advice.


Consuming alcohol is dangerous for dogs in the same ways that it is dangerous for humans.  It effects the liver and brain causing many of the same side effects we see in humans.  It’s important to understand that it takes far less alcohol to put a dog’s health, and even its life, in jeopardy.


A substance found in avocados called persin is toxic to dogs.

Macadamia Nuts

An unknown toxin in macadamia nuts can be fatal to dogs.  As few as six can cause symptoms such as vomiting, stiffness, and weakness.


A sweetener found in candy, gum, toothpaste, and other common foods, xylitol can cause an insulin spike which can lead to liver failure.

Yeast Dough

The dough can continue to rise in a dog’s stomach, causing severe pain and in some cases can actually rupture the stomach.

Raw Meat or Fish

Raw meat can carry salmonella and E. Coli; raw fish can carry parasites.


Although they are common treats given to dogs, bones are actually better left off your pet’s menu.  They can cause choking or splinter and cause lacerations in the digestive tract.

Onions and Garlic

These can actually destroy a dog’s red blood cells and put your pet at risk for anemia.

Grapes and Raisins

The cause is still unknown, but grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.  Vomiting is an early sign, followed by lethargy.

Looking for more pet tips?

Be sure to follow our pet tips and ideas board on Pinterest at:

  1. Great website real helpful

  2. Thanks for the information. I didn’t know grapes are bad for dogs. I had a German Spitz who loved grapes and he died of kidney failure in 2006 🙁

  3. Great tips. Pets are as an important part of the family as humans are.

  4. Very informative. Seeing your pets in pain makes you feel helpless, doesn’t it? Show them you care.

  5. Very informative website for pet-lovers. Thank you for the helpful tips.

Leave a Reply